Thursday 28 March 2013

Sandy's Sundays - Art In The Botanics

A couple of sundays I went along to Sandy's class in the botanics where you have about four hours with the model in the same pose - I hadn't been for a while, as sundays seem to fill up easily, so was glad to finally get along.

This was where I first tried to paint the figure in oils a few years ago. There has been a bit of improvement since those first efforts, but it is still a very useful thing to do, to try and record what I can see, with the light shifting, the model moving, and all the other difficulties. Somehow I seem to learn something new each time - or notice where there may be deficiencies in my work. Part of this is because of the other people - all a friendly bunch - there is nothing like seeing the magic other people can create with the same model and in the same time.

Anyway, it has been a long time since I painted this model and it was great to try and paint her hair. I really should go along more often.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, thought I would take a wee look at your blog! It is nice to read about your thoughts etc. I love these oil sketches you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking a look Marion - I wish I had more time to these as I always have a good time chatting to folks and generally seem to learn something.

    ReplyDelete