Sunday 19 February 2012

Day 19 - The University Library

Yesterday morning I went up bright and early to the 11th floor of the University Library. This is a place I went to a lot as a student (although my subject's floor was the much more boring 5) and it has been quite special going back over the last year - around this time last year during the 28 drawings challenge I rejoined the library. Since then I have been up and down those lifts many times - they look the same, smell the same, and I swear pretty much have the same people in them. The alarming thing for me is that enough time has passed that the new people could be my children.
Anyway. The views are also largely unchanged - the University itself is the same as ever. It is, I think, too much part of my life for me to judge whether it is good or bad. It just is. And all that gothic-ness is fun to draw. The art gallery - that you can see peeking out behind it - I will come out and say is a bit of a monstrosity. But like all good, properly built buildings, it is capable of keeping renewing itself time after time, and remains a magical place to visit. Except when the organ plays. I still hate that organ.
The science tower is new, the armadillo went up in my final year. The wind cranes out on the skyline are pretty recent, too.
The sun shining on a bitterly cold day, backlighting the University tower, has been around much longer than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment